Agroamerica supports a green economy in the context of poverty alleviation, sustainable development and the preservation of natural resources, and contributes to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
We are challenging “business as usual”
The scarcity of natural resources has encouraged our industry to design innovative ways of increasing production, always caring for the environment. Some of our projects that achieve this are:
• Precision agriculture and water efficiency. We have invested in the latest technology for precision agriculture for our plantations, thus reducing water usage and costs by 20 per cent while maintaining record yields.
• Carbon capture and clean energy. We are the first Guatemalan palm oil company to have a United Nations Clean Development Mechanism Project and Carbon Emission Reduction issuance in the region. We capture over 30,000 tons per year of carbon dioxide and use biogas generators to produce a total of 7.5MW/hr of clean energy for sale to the national electric grid. Our goal is to become carbon negative in our operations.
• Recycling. We have reduced costs per box by 7 per cent, and plastic bag usage by 66 per cent, implementing the use of environmentally friendly materials.
- Reforestation: Thousands of trees have been planted to improve air quality, roundwater, and to create a protective barrier against erosion and flooding. We reforested areas with native plant species and we have declared these forests as private reserves in the region. Also we are members of the Private Natural Reserves of Guatemala Association -ARNPG-.
- Renewable Energy: With the 102 MW installed, our investment in this project of renewable energy in Central America will provide the total energy needed for approximately 400,000 persons and will replace 70% of energy previously produced from fossil fuels (mainly bunker).
We implement good environmental practices and hold certifications with global standards that improve the supply chain and care for the environment:
Agroamerica is the first company in the world to receive global certification from Rainforest Alliance Certified –RAC-, and BASC (Business Alliance for Secure Commerce), and are certified with Global Gap. Also we are members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), and at this moment we are on the processes to become the first company certified in the region by RSPO.
Agroamerica has implemented social programs in alliance with local governments, NGOs, universities and community leaders to help to achieve the Millennium Development Goals of environmental sustainability, poverty and hunger eradication, universal education, and child and maternal health. One of these programs, called Better Families, focuses on improving the health and nutrition of women and children. Currently we have 750 mothers participating and more than 880 children monitored in 10 rural villages.
Agroamerica has become the first company nationwide to sign up as a Living Wage Employer to promote the wellbeing of the families and the personnel of its banana and palm oil plantations.
We encourage businesses to prioritize community development and sustainability in their business strategies to be competitive worldwide. Our corporate vision is to be an example for the rest of the countries in the world in the agricultural industry, by using more efficient and productive systems which create a positive impact on the environment, our employees, and the communities around us, for the development of Guatemala.
Agroamerica’s contribution tosustainable development
Avenida Las Américas, 22-83 Zona 14 Edificio Agroamérica
Tel: +502 2285 4100 | Fax: +502 2285 4150 | www.agroamerica.com